The rules of engagement for the Army have changed at the Line Of Actual Control (LAC) , the Chinese have been informed about the same both at the military as well as diplomatic level.
The old rules had drawn certain restrictions on the soldiers to take actions while carrying out operations.
The field commanders have been allowed to use firearms , under the extraordinary circumstances, if any such arises.
The commanders which have been deployed at the LAC have been given the authority to allow soldiers , “complete freedom of action” . Even Prime Minister, Narendra Modi had mentioned that the army has been given full freedom to deal with the situation existing at the LAC.
Earlier , under the bilateral agreement sealed in 1996 and 2005 , the army of both the nations were restricted to use firearms, as said by S Jaishankar , External Affairs Minister. “All troops on border duty always carry arms , especially when leaving the post . Those in Galwan on June 15 did so. Long standing practice of not to use firearms during faceoff” , he had said in response to the comment that Indian soldiers were sent to LAC as unarmed.
Recently , the Government has also granted Rs 500 crore to the army so as to finance , ammunition and weapons , to fight off the clash going at the border with China. “The Vice Chief of the three services have been given financial powers up to Rs 500 crore per project to acquire the required weapon systems under fast track procedures needed to fill whatever shortcomings or requirement is felt” , as soruced from ANI .
On 15th of June , 2020 , a violent clash had taken place between the troops of India and China at the Galwan Valley, which resulted in killing of 20 Indian Army Personnels. Since then the tension between the two nations have peaked up at the border. As per sources , 35 Chinese were also killed in that incident.